Q: Where does Leaf411 stand on Vaping, Adolescence (Teen use), Pregnancy and Breastfeeding?
A: Leaf411's Position Statements (10/2019):
- Leaf411's Vaping Position Statement:
• Never purchase or inhale concentrates that contain additives such as Vitamin E acetate, polyethylene glycol (PEG), propylene glycol (PG), coconut oil, MCT oil, or any other emulsifiers or synthetic agents. Coconut and MCT oil are proven safe to eat but not safe to inhale.
• Vaporize product that is as close to nature as possible, e.g., organic raw flower or concentrates without additives including additional high concentrations of terpenoids (terpenes). The cannabis plant in nature contains approximately 5-10% max of terpenoids which is the maximum that should be added back in the concentrate if used. More than 10% of terpenoids as additives have not been tested for safe inhalation consumption.
• Ask your dispensary for a certificate of analysis (COA) on any product you wish to purchase to review the cannabinoid profile, pesticide testing, etc.
• Read all labels before purchasing and ask questions on ingredients listed.
• Ask your dispensary bud-tender to review the vape device materials of construction with you before purchasing, e.g., does the device have plastic near the heating element? Where was it manufactured? Is the plastic pharmaceutical grade? etc.
• Purchase cannabis products only through state-licensed cannabis retailers or licensed delivery services.
• Never purchase products sold through an illicit (black) market or from any non-licensed dispensary or delivery service. These products are likely not tested and can be easily counterfeited.
- Leaf411's Underage Position Statement:
- Leaf411 does not encourage, suggest or promote underage use (<21 years old).
- The Leaf411 nurse may discuss medical use if <21 years old caller has a MMJ card with a parent or legal guardian on the phone.
- The Leaf411 nurse may educate underage (<21 years old) callers that are non-MMJ card holders on reasons for prohibited use (illegal in all states, THC short term memory loss, no long term studies on either side yet, can become a use disorder, can cause legal issues with schools, college admissions, career path, job applications, etc.).
- The Leaf411 nurse may educate all callers (including <21 years old) on the current vape illness.
- The Leaf411 nurse may guide underage callers to the Leaf411's community support directory.
- LEAF411's Pregnancy or Breastfeeding Position Statement:
- Leaf411 does NOT promote or suggest using any form of cannabis while pregnant or breastfeeding due to no concrete studies on either side as of yet unless recommended by a physician.
- Positive THC screens can lead to legal issues with Department of Child Protective Services, Obstetricians, hospital protocols, etc. so be aware.
- Leaf411 nurses will always guide callers to speak to their physician if contemplating use and guide callers to the Leaf411 Library for additional resources.
Please sign in to leave a comment.