Q: What is Marijuana? What is Hemp (CBD)?
- Marijuana is the product of the hemp plant, Cannabis sativa, containing the psychoactive
chemical delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) and other related compounds. Here at Leaf411, the nurses will use the term marijuana for products containing more than 0.3% THC, which means they are sold in dispensaries. The Leaf411 nurses will refer to products containing less than 0.3% THC as hemp CBD which can be bought and sold over-the-counter or online in most states.
- Cannabis is a dioecious and hermaphroditic plant. Dioecious plants will produce either male or female reproductive parts. However, under extremely stressful conditions or unstable genetics results in a plant that may produce both male and female reproductive parts (hermaphrodite).
- Male cannabis plants have pistils and produce pollen to fertilize female plants, resulting in seeds.
- Female plants, once mature, produce flowers that contain trichomes. Trichomes are the sticky resinous parts of the cannabis flower and is what contains THC, the psychoactive ingredient in cannabis. If a cultivar of cannabis is highly valued, and its sex is confirmed, cloning can be done to keep the genetics alive for many years.
- When cultivating sinsemilla or medical cannabis, it is important to separate out the male plants from the female in order to prevent pollination and seed production. Advanced cannabis farmers will often develop new strains through cross pollination methods, that will not be discussed here, as it is far too complex.
- Hermaphroditic plants are on the lower end of quality are are not suggested for consumption.
- Hemp vs Marijuana: https://tikunolamusa.com/2019/10/30/hemp-vs-marijuana/
- Hemp vs Cannabis CBD, What's the difference?: https://www.leafly.com/news/cbd/hemp-vs-cannabis-derived-cbd-whats-the-difference
- The complete guide to CBD (cannabidiol): https://www.leafly.com/news/cbd/what-is-cbd?utm_source=SailThru&utm_medium=email_news&utm_campaign=Newsletters_11272019_Wed
- How to talk about CBD at the dinner table: https://www.leafly.com/news/lifestyle/how-to-talk-about-cbd-dinner-table?utm_source=SailThru&utm_medium=email_news&utm_campaign=Newsletters_11302019_Sat_Disengaged&utm_term=Master%20-%20Disengaged
- FDA Says CBD Products Run ‘Real Risks’. Rather than regulate, FDA issues misinformation: https://cannabisnow.com/fda-says-cbd-products-run-real-risks/?utm_campaign=Daily%20Morning%20News&utm_source=hs_email&utm_medium=email&utm_content=80147502&_hsenc=p2ANqtz-81tCS3wQBF3QB_siRiNgXZYkyIfhHxPPjXFwKzZMdeME7vIQXoUcCte1cF6915mAKR-9AIYlew3bTa1rB7EMHKxWQixw&_hsmi=80147709
- The FDA is worried about CBD. Should you be concerned?: https://www.leafly.com/news/cbd/the-fda-is-worried-about-cbd-should-you-be-concerned?utm_source=SailThru&utm_medium=email_news&utm_campaign=Newsletters_12042019_Wed&utm_term=%5BTWS%5D%20%26%20%5BMaster%20%2B%20Not%20Dormant%5D