What is CBDV?
By Dr. Bonni Goldstein, MD
- CBDV does not bind to cannabinoid receptors (?) CB2 interaction?
- As we learn more about this cannabinoid, the question mark above may change.
- One 2007 study discussed the potential binding of CBDV to CB2 receptor.
- CBDV blocks DAGL, the enzyme involved in 2-ag synthesis.
- If 2-ag is blocked, we don’t make as much.
- CBDV activates TrpA1, TrpV1, TrpV2
- TrpV1 thought to be important for anti-convulsive effects
- CBDV also blocks TrpM8 channel, involved in cancer growth
- CBDV weakly blocks receptor, involved in pain, inflammation, seizures and energy metabolism
- CBDV recovered GABA-A receptor “rundown”, which is a phenomenon associated with drug resistant epilepsy.
- Case reports-Morano et al., 2016 seizure reduction with homemade CBDV rich preparation. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/29588939/
- Multiple animal studies reporting anti-convulsant effects of CBDV
- Clinical trial of purified CBDv in adults with poorly controlled focal seizures, failed to reach primary endpoint
- Placebo response, single compound vs whole plant
- Evidence reported use of isolate
- Hard to know why this clinical trial failed
- Chronic treatment with CBDV- Vigili Et al, 2018
- Link to Zamberletti, 2018 article.
- Reported mice w/ genetic defect when given CBDV, rescued social deficits, improved motor coordination and brain waves, led to study in human children
- Efficacy and safety of CBDV treatment of epilepsy in girls w/ Rett syndrome: A Phase 1 clinical trial
- 5 girls w/ Rett syndrome and drug-resistant epilepsy treated w/ CBDV in phase 1 trial
- Dosing from 2.5mg/kg/day up to 10mg/kg/day
- Remarkable results-79% reduction of seizures
- 3/5 having 75% reduction of seizures.
- This corresponds to overall seizure reduction from 32 to 7.2 seizures/month
- CBDV APPEARS TO BE WELL TOLERATED WITH NO SERIOUS SIDE EFFECTS, sedation and drooling were one reported side effect
- Link to 2021 Zamberletti article.
- CBDV treatment ameliorates autism-like behaviors and restores hippocampal…Would it reverse or prevent autism-like behaviors?
- Animal model looked at reversing and preventing ASD like behavior in rats exposed to Valproic acid prenatally (model of ASD).
- In symptomatic rats, improvements in social impairments, social novelty preferences, short terms memory deficits, repetitive behaviors, hyperlocomotion.
- CBDV prevented all of the above.
- CBDV also found pre-natal valproic acid exposure had significant effects on ECS, CB1 receptor, FAAH, MAGL levels and triggered neuroinflammation. All alterations were restored after CBDV treatment.
- Autism trial in humans are now in progress, safety/tolerability of CBDV in children and young adults with ASD.
- Patent acquired in 2018 for other cannabinoids in a mouse model of pain.
- CBDV (as well as CBG/THCv) was effective at reducing pain (better than CBD) for both thermal hyperalgesia and mechanical allodynia.
- CBDV vs placebo in children and adults up to age 30 with Prader-Willi
- Eating fixation, irritability, repetitive/disruptive behaviors, intense persistent hunger and food pre-occupation and sleep disturbances.
- Currently this study is in the recruiting phase
- CBDV may help with mood, sleep and food regulation.
Dr. Bonni’s Suggestion on what to look for in product
- Look for whole plant CBDV, Full spectrum.
- Not a fan of isolate but her patients are already on lots of cannabis and by adding in extra cannabinoids, they are still getting whole plant spectrum.
- Side effects:
- Sedation, drooling (possibly)
- Some products have added ingredients which some patients may have issues with, take for example, peppermint may trigger seizures in some patients.
- No mixing with other products as this can make it difficult to determine where the unwanted side effects are coming from.
- She wants cannabis, oil and that is it!
Goldstein, B. (2022, September 1). What is CBDV? [Video file]. Retrieved from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4OAeGC5464Q